[OSGeo-Discuss] Ideas for a future OSGeo Board

Dirk Frigne dirk.frigne at geosparc.com
Mon Oct 16 16:04:13 PDT 2017

Hello Cameron,

Thank you for your well structured vision.

Although I agree with almost everything you describe, I respectfully
disagree on the following:

As OSGeo is a community where all the members are private persons, we
don't need to vote for positions, as we will accept roles from
volunteers, in a naturally way. There is i.m.h.o. an exception.
As a community we want to create partnerships and represent the
organisation to like minded organisations.
To represent OSGeo, we need people volunteering for that role, to be
recognised at least by the board, so they can speak in the name of OSGeo
for that purpose.

f.i. the volunteers representing OSGeo in the UN work group, or talking
to the world bank should best have an 'official' role. This is the case
for preparing partnerships, representing OSGeo in a community like OGC,
or others, but I agree this role can only be executed by a volunteer,
when there is enough trust and respect from the other members.

A very powerful way to accomplish this is to raise your voice by
supporting volunteers who stand up and +1 them when they express their
interest in volunteering for some task. This will give the volunteer the
extra energy he/she needs to go for it.

I also think it is very important to try to use this power in a positive
stimulating way and try to avoid to hold people doing something by
giving criticism without providing a decent alternative.
Respect for the other volunteers is a very important feature for all
charter members, we should care about using it!

I see a great community of fantastic people, promoting open source for
Geo is the core element that unite us, receiving respect and encourage
each other is what drives us. I am happy to have the feeling to belong
to this community. Sometimes we loose strong and powerfull people
because they where discouraged for voluntaring for OSGeo. We should be
inclusive and try  to help them to volunteer again, and try to
understand why things went wrong. We should learn from the past, but we
should give a volunteer always a new chance. Otherwise, we can't call
ourselves an inclusive community.

my 2c
Dirk.

Yours sincerely,