[OSGeo-Discuss] Board elections time

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Wed Oct 18 10:14:47 PDT 2017

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 3:42 AM, Vasile Craciunescu
<vasile at geo-spatial.org> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Based on the feedback received from two of our members (thank you Dimitris
> and Gert-Jan), I did a small change in the voting system. The change is on
> the number of votes than one can cast. The initial system was maximum 5,
> minimum 5, which does not make sense if you want to abstain on more than 5
> nominations (the rule was inherit from the survey template used last year).
> Also, according to our process rules  "You can cast up to 5 votes, for 5
> different people." [1]. Now, before making this change, 35 people already

Probably leave it until next year, but [1] is in error; it does not
need to be for *different* people.  The bylaws
http://www.osgeo.org/content/foundation/incorporation/bylaws.html [2]
provide:

Section 8.9. Voting. Each member (except emeritus members) shall be
entitled to one vote on each matter submitted to a vote at a meeting
of the members, except in the case of election of directors or as may
otherwise be provided in the General Corporation Law of the State of
Delaware. If a quorum is present, the affirmative vote of a majority
of the members represented at the meeting and entitled to vote on the
subject matter shall be the act of the members, unless the vote of a
greater number is required by the General Corporation Law of the State
of Delaware or by the Certificate of Incorporation or by these Bylaws.

In connection with the election of Directors, each member (except
emeritus members) shall be entitled to one vote for each vacancy on
the Board of Directors to be filled. Members of the Board of Directors
shall be elected by the affirmative vote of a plurality of the votes
of the members present in person or proxy, including through remote
communication, at the meeting and entitled to vote on the election of
the Board of Directors. Each member entitled to vote in an election of
Directors may cumulate his or her votes by distributing among one or
more candidates as many votes as are equal to the number of Director
vacancies to be filled in the election.

Andy also raised some good ideas.  Perhaps we need to review this further.

Best regards, Eli

[2] http://www.osgeo.org/content/foundation/incorporation/bylaws.html