[OSGeo-Discuss] withdrawal from Board election

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Sun Oct 22 06:33:30 PDT 2017

My proposal to the Board and the OSGeo charter members is to leave the
> list as it is and make sure that the people that did not vote yet are
> aware of Jeff's request to withdraw from the Board elections.

No, this is completely off. If a candidate withdraws during an election,
you should declare the current ballot void and start a new one without the
withdrawn candidate.

Leaving the ballot running, but telling people who have not voted yet that
one candidate has withdrawn is *unfair* to those who already voted.

I would hope that running a ballot is low-enough cost that this doesn't
have a cost impact, unlike a paper election!

If Jeff had been elected to the board and then resigned the day after the
election then I assume there's regulations for having new by-elections for
vacant seats, but this situation is not the same.

Barry

I can