[OSGeo-Discuss] [Board] Elections 2017 from the CRO point of view

María Arias de Reyna delawen+osgeo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 14:06:07 PDT 2017

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 10:54 PM, Anita Graser <anitagraser at gmx.at> wrote:

> Thank you for your summary and assessment of the situation, Vasile!
>
> On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 9:57 PM, Jody Garnett <jody.garnett at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I am not sure I have collected my own thoughts, in the interests of
>> meeting your request I would like to ask if the current board members are
>> available for 14:00 UTC tomorrow.
>>

> ​I can't guarantee that I'll be able to make it, but here are my thoughts:
>
> 1) +1 Vasile's recommendation "to create a clear rule stating that an
> accepted nomination cannot be withdraw after the start of the voting
> period", and therefore
>
> 2) +1 the recommendation "not to admit the [withdrawal] request from Jef"
>
> 3) +1 "not to start new elections" for the reasons summarized by Vasile

Although it is true that this hasn't been very peaceful elections, I am
against of restarting the elections. If this is a democracy, let us decide
if we want to vote or not for someone. And if after the elections that
person feels that there is too much pressure and cannot stand it, then let
that person resign. And if we make a mistake and vote for someone who is a
bad choice, well, we will learn and not vote for that person again, right?
That's the beauty (and the beast) of the democracy. Mistakes can be made,
but they are not forever.

And this goes also for all the people who did campaign aggresively (public
and privately) against one of the candidates. It is good to ask about
things that worry you and to expose what you think it is a failure. But if
there is nothing on the rules that prevents that person to be elected, as
it was the case (maybe because of a loophole, but rules didn't explicitly
say he couldn't be elected), then that's it. There is no need to push that
to the personal level.

Thanks a lot Vasile for the work done. I have no doubt you did the best on
this case. And I hope the new board can work on your suggestions, I think
they are the right path to go. And reinforce the rules to cover extreme
cases.