[OSGeo-Discuss] Membership process & email

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 13:23:19 PDT 2017

+1 to Jeroen's suggestion that we should minimise email traffic.

+1 to Brandon's suggestion of managing in a wiki (although there are
other ways which work too)

We should be careful not to "love our list to death" by swamping it with
well meaning but little value content, thus reducing the
"signal-to-noise ratio". Most modern Codes of Conduct [1] discuss being
concise in our communication and considering the readers. If you don't,
your community will silently drop off.

I for one have not read any of the nominations on the email list, and
I'm probably one of OSGeo Discuss's most active members. There is too much.

[1] http://www.osgeo.org/code_of_conduct

On 9/9/17 4:32 am, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 6:49 PM, MarĂ­a Arias de Reyna
> <delawen+osgeo at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sep 8, 2017 6:46 PM, "Massimiliano Cannata"
>> <massimiliano.cannata at supsi.ch> wrote:
>>
>> Why not just nominate people on the list but collect seconding on online
>> system, like a form? SImilar to those for voting presentation at foss4g!!!
>>

>> In previous years it was like this and people still flood with +1. Also,
>> this year people were sending proposals directly to the list instead of to
>> the cro.
>>
>> We are rebels by nature. People will still send things to the list.
> Well, they will eventually learn it ;-) ... as soon as a better system
> exists than the current "+1" flooding.
>
> Markus

Cameron Shorter
M +61 419 142 254