[OSGeo-Discuss] completed branding and collateral materials are now in github

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 13:26:11 PDT 2017

There are a couple reasons to use GitHub - none of them great.

When uDig was using gitorious that many visitors would follow GitHub
instructions and get confused. GitHub one market share by having better
docs, and now it is assumed.

When GeoServer was still on OSGeo SVN we maintained an official GitHub
mirror to collect contributions from developers. I got the impression that
they would only search GitHub for source code, and if we did not have a
presence people would fork off from developers personal repositories.

None of those factors apply for marketing material, except for perhaps the
pull request workflow (and many contributors having a GitHub presence
already).

I have not been terribly impressed with GitHub culture with respect to
diversity, and would love to see increased competition in this area. They
at least provide a diversity report, but that is by no means impressive.
On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 12:44 PM Jeff McKenna <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com>
wrote:

> On 2017-09-28 4:41 PM, Jeff McKenna wrote:

> >> A belated question, but why not use https://git.osgeo.org/ that Sandro
> >> and others helped to set up?
> >>
> >> Venka
> >>

> > Thank you so much for promoting this Venka, I think it's wonderful to
> > see so many initiatives using OSGeo infrastructure
> > (https://git.osgeo.org/gogs/explore/repos).  By the way I just updated
> > the OSGeo logos used by GOGS: https://git.osgeo.org/
> >

> > -jeff
> >

> Note that you'll have to do a manual clearing of your browser cache, to
> see the new logos.
>
> -jeff

Jody Garnett