[OSGeo-Discuss] osgeo budget 2019

María Arias de Reyna delawen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 23:37:13 PST 2019

On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 7:52 PM Jody Garnett <jody.garnett at gmail.com> wrote:

> Gotten a couple folks asking for an update, the budget has indeed passed:
>
> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2019
>
> The vast majority of budget request have been met as requested, with the board scaling back some of its own activities, and combing events and code sprints to make this happen.
>
> For the details on how to work with your budget we have some draft being assembled here (TLDR: OSGeo trusts you, work with your committee officer, officer contacts the treasurer as needed).
>
> If you have questions please reply to this email thread, or contact a board member for clarification.
> --
> Jody Garnett

Hi,

Just wanted to add, for your information, that the budget this year is
substantially higher than in previous years. This is due to having
increased economic capacity and wanting to try the approach of getting
to projects and committees think of what can they do with their
budgets. For some projects this is the first year they request some
budget and that's wonderful.

In my opinion, we should encourage the use of OSGeo as an economic
backup, seed or push to make our software go further. So keep in mind
during the whole year all the things your projects and events are not
doing and how can OSGeo help you for 2020. Does your project not
organize specific codesprints because economic fear or incapacity? Is
it because you don't know where to start? We can help.

As usual, if anything comes up during the year, the budget can be
amended. But this means the board having to go through some
bureaucratic process both for transparency and for making sure we are
being fair with the rest of teams. And this micro-management makes the
whole process slow. So, please, PSC of all projects: try to compile
all requests before ending next year so when the Board comes to you
again after the elections, we can have a more complete budget.

Thanks you all for your collaboration, if we do everything that has
been budgeted, this is going to be an outstanding year for all of us!
Can't wait to see the results :)

María.
"La Presidenta"