[OSGeo-Discuss] Testing on multiple versions and upgrading

James Klassen klassen.js at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 08:32:07 PDT 2020

If you want to be thorough, testing on different versions of the "same"
Linux distribution makes sense.  Generally, the compiler and all the
surrounding libraries are upgraded between distribution versions and could
have different behaviors or bugs.

You might want to look into a continuous integration (CI) tool that can
automatically run the build and tests on multiple platforms whenever you
push a commit.  Looking at how GDAL and/or PDAL handle this would be a good
place to get started.

Related to using CI, setting up development environments in different
containers (like with Docker) can let you build and test different Linux
versions on the same machine (and can help with setting up CI tools).  This
makes keeping machines around with different versions of the OS around
mostly unnecessary, and decouples the ability to test on a
distribution/version from whatever distribution/version you use day-to-day.