[OSGeo-Discuss] Which dialect of Spanish should I declare?

Pierre Abbat phma at bezitopo.org
Sun Oct 4 23:17:30 PDT 2020

I prepare some of my programs, including PerfectTIN, with translation files to
make sure that the internationalization works. My English is clearly North
American, so I'm fine with the English file being labeled en-US. My Spanish,
though, I'm not so sure. I know it's Leftpondian, but can't pick a specific
country. My accent is Salvadoran, with admixture of my other native languages,
as that's where my mother grew up. My vocabulary, though, is a mishmash of
words I picked up from Spanish speakers from all over the Americas. I'm
hesitant to call it es-US, as that to me means Spanish spoken by people whose
ancestors have been in the US for at least a few generations.

As far as terms that are likely to be in translation files, I say
"computadora", but I'm fine with "ordenador", as my second language is French.
I say "fichero", but that may again be because of French.

The Spanish file says "es" in the header, but Qt Linguist calls it "español de
España". Is this a quirk of Qt Linguist? Should I rename the English file,
which has "en-US" in the header, to have "en-US" in the filename?

Pierre
--
ve ka'a ro klaji la .romas. se jmaji