[OSGeo-Discuss] [OSGeo-Conf] Announcement: Call for Location global FOSS4G 2023

Jonathan Moules jonathan-lists at lightpear.com
Wed Jan 12 06:26:05 PST 2022

Hi Vasile,

 > 2021 was the proof that a successful FOSS4G can be organized in
virtual form as well.

Which is great to hear!

But in that case, the following statements raises a question

 > we really hope that FOSS4G2023 can be safely organized in physical
format.

Why? If it can be held in a virtual format then surely that's better
than an in-person event? Online is more accessible, cheaper, and the
massive environmental impact of several hundred people flying to an
arbitrary point on the globe to watch/participate in something that can
be done online doesn't seem warranted if, as you say, it works well in a
virtual form.

I appreciate that someone is going to say "in-person is better for
networking opportunities", but has anyone ever actually quantified these
nebulous benefits? For any conference, doesn't even have to just be
FOSS4G? Or is it merely a rationalisation? A quick literature search
(not my area) suggests there's very little work been done in this area,
and even less to objectively quantify the outcomes.

Now is a good opportunity to re-evaluate the need for it to be in-person
given the evident success of 2021's online event.

It strikes me that online has numerous advantages:

* Cheaper to attend

* Cheaper to organise

* Easier to organise (? a supposition)

* Open to many more delegates (several billion)

* Open to many more disadvantaged delegates

* Much lower environmental impact

Whereas the benefits for the in-person are:

* More money for OSGeo

* More networking opportunities

* (Personal level) A work paid for junket

It is true that some of the online benefits can be transferred to an
in-person event by filming/streaming as FOSS4G does, but that doesn't
obviate the very real environmental costs.

Seems like something worth discussing,

Cheers,

Jonathan