[OSGeo-Discuss] Mailing lists to discourse migration

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Mon Jan 1 07:25:22 PST 2024

On Sat, Dec 30, 2023 at 12:46:24PM +0100, Markus Neteler via Discuss wrote:

> With an upgrade from mailman-2 to mailman-3 we could also have a
> searchable archive.
> See for example
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/
> which looks much more modern than mailman-2 on OSGeo.

Unfortunately nobody stepped up to do that.
Someone (in Matrix chat!) mentioned he would look at it but never
announced any start of work on the SAC mailing list, nor in the SAC
chat room. Any proposal remains theoretical until someone takes on
the effort of making it real.

The corresponding trac ticket is here:

  - https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/3028

Personally I'd be very happy to see this upgrade coming, but last I
checked migration of archives was reported to not be "smooth"
(existing mails would not have the same URLs when migrating) so more
decisions are to be made (or someone needs to be bold enough to just
do it and see what happens, which is what was done with Discourse)

--strk;