[DotNet-OSGeo] Working towards a System.Spatial library... and Please vote on a logo...

Gennadii Donchyts gennadiy.donchyts at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 18:57:36 EDT 2010

Hi all,
Dan, thanks for a good feedback on my presentation. I actually did not post
much information about it yet in the .NET OSS GIS community except that I
contacted Paul about submission of a patch to the SharpMap (still have to
discuss all details with him. It is not easy to merge things back since we
made quite many modifications in all parts: GeoAPI, NTS, SharpMap. Plus we
use a few external dependencies which can be a discussion point). For those
who are interested to know more details here is a short overview of changes:

* Implemented support for Features, refactored a lot in SharpMap to use
features instead of only geometries, extended NetTopologySuite to support
features, extended GeoAPI with IFeature. Actually everything became a
Feature, it gives much more flexibility.
* Extended GeoAPI to support networks (graphs-like features) and implemented
it using QuickGraph. It also supports custom features defined along the
network branches or on nodes.
* Added support for Coverages. Mainly discrete 2D regular and 1D along the
polylines.
* Added support for time-dependent coverages and time-dependent vector
layers.
* Performance and bug fixes in SharpMap / NTS
* Reimplemented 100% of SharpMap controls (WinForms) plus SharpMap rendering
logic. Custom feature renderer, rendering layers into separate images,
extended styling.
* Added support for NHibernate / SQLite, no coordinate systems support yet,
very simple implementation using  NHibernate geometry user type
* Implemented vector feature editor, with some sort of topologies, still to
be polished.

I posted my presentation from the conference on the following page
https://public.deltares.nl/display/DS/2010/07/10/Delta+Shell+Presentation+(iEMSs+2010),
it does not include the live demo but it should be sufficient to get a
feeling about GIS functionality available there.

Some more information about application we're working on can be found here:
http://public.deltares.nl/display/DS/. In downloads under release notes you
can find a few screencasts.

We were considering using SharpMap v2 at the beginning, but it was still in
very early stage and also the code base was much more complex compare to
SharpMap v1. And since lightweightness of the GIS libraries was the most
important criteria for us - v1 was used.

It is also clear for me that our development overlaps a lot with other
projects, but in reality you don't think about such things when there are
deadlines.

About DotNet OSGeo initiative - Dan, thanks for inviting me to join a
steering committee. I fully support the idea, we're already talked about it
during iEMSs and it feels like it is really a time to consolidate .NET
geospatial developments with a main goal: a high-quality set of geospatial
.NET libraries which are consistent and don't overlap. I'm not saying that
current libraries are not consistent, GeoAPI, NTS, Proj.NET, BruTile,
MapWindow are great products but I believe that if we join our efforts and
coordinate work a little bit - we can do even better.

Looking forward to meet all of you on irc / skype.

Best regards,
Gena