[DotNet-OSGeo] MapWindow 2011 Conference + FOSS4G .NET?

Daniel Ames dan.ames at isu.edu
Mon Sep 27 18:33:06 EDT 2010

Gena,

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I know that DotNet folks are always welcome
at FOSS4g. My students and I have always felt welcome and learned a lot
there (Lausanne, Capetown, Sydney). So we'll probably go to Denver too. (I
was teaching MapServer and OpenLayers just today in fact based on stuff I've
learned at these conferences).

The main reason we started the MapWindow conferences was because we wanted
to do a lot of workshop and lab oriented training and found that at FOSS4g
we could only get one or two workshops accepted - and they rejected all the
ones for programmers. Of course this was a problem since half of the
MapWindow users are actually 3rd party programmers using our controls. So
not being able to do workshops made the regular FOSS4g less appealing.

That being said, I've sent a note to the MapWindow team to get more feedback
from people there who aren't on this list - including on the question of
merging with FOSS4g in Denver.

By the way, we are also planning on doing a mini conference/workshop in
Delft, Netherlands in April 2011 and our 2012 conference in Leipzig,
Germany. There's got to be a way to harmonize all these events...

- Dan

amesdani at isu.edu
geology.isu.edu
www.mapwindow.org