[DotNet-OSGeo] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Hello everybody

Daniel Ames dan.ames at isu.edu
Thu Apr 21 19:25:43 EDT 2011

(I'm shifting this discussion to the DotNet mailing list.)

 Carsten, actually you don't necessarily need to get into C and unmanaged
code. Indeed the DotSpatial library and the others I mentioned on Codeplex
are NOT com/activeX. I do though also run the MapWindow project that has one
realization with a very lovely C++ ActiveX control that totally/easily
replaces MapObjects, so you can go that route if you want to. But if you are
comfortable with managed dotnet code then you should get involved in our
DotNet C# projects. - Dan

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 11:21 PM, Carsten Troelsgaard <
troelsgaard53c at live.dk> wrote:

>  Hi Dan
>
> Thanks for the suggestions. I put meself on dotnet List and had a look at
> codeplex ;o) .. (couldn't help smiling there)
> I need a break from fumbling round .. I think that I have a ~600mb
> downloaded microsoft library that I can, and have spend a lot of time in. It
> look as if my problems have a chance in the part of visual studio that I've
> avoided so far (com-objects) >sigh<
> I can read c and have got the best info by reading the code in libTiff. And
> I know the syntax for reaching 'unmanaged code' as it's called, but havn't
> yet tried it. Maybe the largest obstacle is to convince myself that I really
> need it .. I sortof expect someone to hit me with a magic one-liner that
> solves everything. It's hard to believe that it's necessary to write your
> own codec to reach data in the public domain (It's called something like 1
> or 30 arcsec aster elevation model data)
>
> Carsten

> Carsten, with your background in VB and interest in C#, you should also
> consider joining the dotnet at lists.osgeo.org mailing list and check out our
> projects including DotSpatial, SharpMap and others (search "gis" on
> codeplex.com and go to town). - Dan
> UnQuote

Daniel P. Ames, Ph.D. PE
Associate Professor, Geosciences