[DotNet-OSGeo] Too quiet...

Dan Weaver danofweaver at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 3 07:04:19 EST 2011

Hi,
- What are people working on?
Using MapWindow and DotNet to model epidemiology- specifically polio
1916 NE US.
I’ve been working on Kohonen neural networks for some years and have
created a MapWindow plugin to help visualise and analyse highly
dimensional, multi-temporal data.

 - What problems are people facing in the .NET open source world?
I’ve had five years programming experience now and still find the
conduits for learning this stuff extremely convoluted.
MapWindow help resources are very good and there are some solid
examples around but I’d love to see more very basic examples for using
each method and property.
OS GIS appeals greatly to those who recognise that the problems we now
face require an approach that encompasses all manner of skills and
knowledge domains. For this reason basic customization approaches need
to be more accessible.

Microsoft’s online usage examples generally give the code for a
‘build-planet’ style method without skimping on the detail. I’d like
to see more videos of performing common tasks step- by- step as this
prevents the storyteller missing out some step that is obvious to a
seasoned programmer but not to others.
One wonderful thing about OS is the quality of forum posts; on
MapWindow community I’ve noticed that answerers refrain from turning
the thread into a battleground and usually come up with an
understandable explanation- well done MapWindow people!

Warm regards to all, don’t forget the last line in the following:

While Not TaskComplete
{
encounter problem;
solve;