[DotNet-OSGeo] Too quite...

Stephen Wealands srweal at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 22:36:06 EST 2011

Hi all,

This is my first post here after seeing that the list existed just recently.
Just thought I’d share what I do on this front.

I’m using .NET with the GDAL/OGR C# bindings on the server, crossed with
OpenLayers on the client to provide basic web mapping apps for clients
throughout Australia. Most have relatively simple data input/output needs
and a desire to manage multimedia files combined with with spatial data. I
provide them with a means to edit, view, report and retrieve all this stuff
in a nicely formatted manner.

My development experience in this has involved piecing together bits and
pieces from web examples, trying to get the basics going. Once that happens,
I typically find I re-write things to work exactly as I want. I store
geometries as WKB, but transfer them to the client as GeoJSON. I use OGR for
conversions and OSR for projections. I render image tiles using the SharpMap
library, which works pretty well and renders nice line work, symbols and
fills. For background imagery, I tend to pre-render JPG tiles using
gdal2tiles and then serve them direct from Amazon S3. For public facing
sites, I can use the Google basemaps or OSM.

If there are others using a similar ‘stack’ of tools, I’d be keen to
exchange notes and potentially collaborate on some work. You can contact me
directly if that sounds like you. I'm not great on the client-side
development stuff, so if you are keen for some work in this area, maybe we
could get it happening.

Steve