[DotNet-OSGeo] RE: 3D display

Michael P. Gerlek mpg at flaxen.com
Wed Jun 1 15:28:10 EDT 2011

> Not that it matters, but wouldn't a point .. presumably painted as a small
square .. always face toward the screen, where
> two triangles representing a square has 'proper' facing and culling.

Yeah, I looked into that idea too some time ago, when I was trying to use
WPF/Silverlight directly to render a point cloud.  The technique is called
"billboarding", and it is a horrible way to render points...  It bloats your
point budget, and the appearance is really bad at various scales.  Using the
GPU's native notion of a point is *much* better.

-mpg