[DotNet-OSGeo] 3D display (was RE: ... 2011 Sol Katz Award: Call for Nominations)

Michael P. Gerlek mpg at flaxen.com
Mon May 30 12:40:05 EDT 2011

Carsten:

I know this problem well... There are some applications out there that do
3D, but it really depends on what you need to do.  Simple rendering/viewing?
Custom display controls? Integration with other geo tools and libraries?

 You have a few options for doing your own 3D display on Windows, and again
it depends on what your needs are:

* DirectX / D3D

    - DirectX/D3D is great, but is doesn’t have .NET bindings, so you have
to code the engine in C++ and use interop from C#

    - SlimDX is a really nice open source C# API that sits on top of the
DirectX C++ API, so using SlimDX you can skip the interop and code directly
in C#

    - if you want to use WPF with DirectX underneath, you can use SlimDX as
well, although it takes some work to get the D3DImage class to behave (my
own SlimDXControl package is one solution for this problem)

* WPF or Silverlight

    - this would be very appealing, but you can't represent points directly,
only polygons, so if you want to do raw point clouds this isn't an option;
also, if you're trying to do tens of thousands of vertices, it will start to
slow down

  - the latest release of Silverlight has started to add 3D primitives, but
again you can't do points and you often can't scale into thousands of
objects

* XNA

    - I know the least about this option; XNA is really designed as a game
API, and my quick look a couple years ago made me stay away because I didn't
have either the raw power of using DirectX directly or the flexibility of
actual UI framework like WPF/Silverlight

* OpenGL

    - powerful and low-level, like DirectX, but also lacking a native C# API

    - there are some C# bindings libraries out there, but I've no experience
with them

So, it comes down to these questions:

  - do you want to program in C++, C#, or a mix?
  - do you want a low-level library which supports points like
DirectX/OpenGL, or do you want a higher level polygonal framowork like WPF?
  - do you want to jus trun on a Windows desktop, or do you want to be able
to port your engine to Windows Phone, Linux, etc?

-mpg