[DotNet-OSGeo] RE: 3D display

Carsten Troelsgaard troelsgaard53c at live.dk
Tue May 31 12:48:41 EDT 2011

I'm not sure that a library will do it. It'll just be another sort of complexity. .. I wonder how far one can get by probing the graphics-card/device to extract those cryptic parameters that numbs you by turning the screen black and restart the pc when you 'test' them in code.
I'm content with the idea that I now can set the GPU to work. I'll probably try to split other related tasks between the two remaining CPUs like 'go fetch' and simplify triangle-mesh. If that approach doesn't provide some agility, so be it.
Having my claw on the virtual room has spawned a couple of other personal projects like 3D copy (laser and D2 image analysis) and pasting (rep-rap 3D printing ;o)
. .. happily ignoring how long time all that will take

One thing that becomes urgent now is a binary reader that can ingest all the different formats that I've met in the search for gis-related data.

Carsten

For a year now, I have had a dream of making a really slick DirectX-based 3D viewing engine for geo applications.  The work I’ve done in the past, and the work you’re doing now, is all stuff that the DirectX “experts” have done a million times and we are just reinventing their wheel.  Since I do mostly lidar these days, I’d love to make a solid, canonical open source library for 3D, but I’ve just not had the time/funding for it yet…