[DotNet-OSGeo] shapefile and such

Carsten Troelsgaard carsten at troelsgaard.net
Sat Mar 24 06:37:00 EDT 2012

Hey all

Thank you for responding to my question about geographic coordinates. It's
a part of a continouing quest of accessing shapefiles and paint em' to the
screen. It's going well, and I'm currently trying out, if my code works as
it's supposed to. I've been to the osgeo pages with the purpose of
scrutinizing overall 'standards' that relates to GIS, Geography,
Projections etc, to conform my work to updated standards. I've shyed away
though, becourse it appears to be very formal documents that takes an oath
to download .. never mind, I've probably got something wrong somewhere.
I díd hope, that shapefiles was a solid standard, but I havn't got far
before meeting one that doesn't execute in my code. It's one that contains
polygon-z data, and it errs exactly where it reaches the end, had it been
polygon-m file. I'll set up some error-redirection of the code to conform
to this particular type of error, but .. how much malformed implementation
can I expect to meet? se note*
The .prj file doesn't seem to comply to any standard. Atleast, I've got two
different types on my  pc . How many different types can I expect? I'll be
able to handle the two I've met so far, so it's no big deal for now.
As for the attribute .dbf file, I did start out with a standard that didn't
match the first file I tried it on, but it wasn't hard to redo it. I look
forward to the worst though ...

Setting out to try to combine the files is somewhat doomed to fail a lot on
the basis I noted above. I would appreciate any suggestion as to what
standards to aim at, or comments on what hurdles to expect else

Kindly Carsten

note* the funny thing is, that I exactly knows what goes on in the mind of
the person that has made the wrong implementation: The order that's in your
head says x,y (ordinary contents) then x.y.z (conceptual z cont) then
x,y,z,m ( conceptual  m cont). Esri has it x,y  .. x,y,m  (for m-cont) and
x,y,z,m (for z cont).