[DotNet-OSGeo] File Input/Output Libraries for Cartographic Labeling

Landon Blake sunburned.surveyor at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 21:18:39 PDT 2012

I've recently started an open source project in Visual Basic .Net to
create a library and toolkit for the efficient generation of
cartographic labels. Here is the basic concept embodied in the
project:

1) Supply geospatial data files, styles, and rules (for things like
label collision detection) to a geospatial factory.
2) Obtain annotations from the factory in common graphic open file
formats like SVG, DXF, or PostScript.

I have some code in the embryonic stage online:

As part of the Geospatial Annotations library and toolkit I will need
to find (or code myself) the following capabilities:

1) Simple Geometry Representations and Operations
2) DXF File Input/Output
3) SVG File Output
4) ESRI Shapefile Input
5) GeoJSON Input
6) Postscript Input

Before I spent the time to code my own capabilities, I wanted to
bounce an e-mail of this mailing list. What are the existing
capabilities in the open source .Net GIS world? I investigated both
SharpMap and the Net Topology Suite, but it wasn't quite clear to me
as an outsider what the relationship was between the two (2) projects.

If the community currently lacks some of the capabilities I listed
above, and I developed solutions for them, where would be the best
place to collaboratively host and maintain the code?

I'm definitely out of my comfort zone in the .Net world, and I
appreciate the help and suggestions.

Landon