[DotNet-OSGeo] File Input/Output Libraries for Cartographic Labeling

Felix Obermaier felix.obermaier at netcologne.de
Wed Oct 3 23:41:39 PDT 2012

Hello Landon,

> I investigated both
> SharpMap and the Net Topology Suite, but it wasn't quite clear to me
> as an outsider what the relationship was between the two (2) projects.
NTS is a close c#/dotnet port of JTS. The functionality is almost the same as in
JTS' trunk, only a couple of commits behind.
SharpMap started to use GeoAPI/NTS geometries as internal geometry
representation just recently.

> As part of the Geospatial Annotations library and toolkit I will need
> to find (or code myself) the following capabilities:

> 1) Simple Geometry Representations and Operations
NetTopologySuite

> 2) DXF File Input/Output
SharpMap input via GDAL CSharp bindings

> 3) SVG File Output
NetTopologySuite does have conversion code from GeoAPI/NTS geometries to
- System.Drawing.GraphicsPath and
- System.Windows.Media.[Stream|]Geometry.
With the use of e.g. https://sharpvectors.codeplex.com/ it should be fairly easy
to achieve the same for SVG

> 4) ESRI Shapefile Input
Both NetTopologySuite and SharpMap can read shapefiles

> 5) GeoJSON Input
NetTopologySuite

> 6) Postscript Input
see 3

> If the community currently lacks some of the capabilities I listed
> above, and I developed solutions for them, where would be the best
> place to collaboratively host and maintain the code?
We'd be happy to host SVG/PostScript conversion code in the NTS repository as
well as DXF IO.

Hth FObermaier