[OSGeo-Edu] Certification of Gary's course

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Aug 27 21:26:38 EDT 2006

P Kishor wrote:
>> One important question, do we (the education committee) have a say in
>> approving the use of OSGeo logo or is this something that requires the
>> board's approval?

Folks,

We are working on a logo use policy.  In the meantime, I'd suggest that
you forward your recommendation to the board for final approval.  If/when
you have a policy on how to decide these things, and get the board to
approve that, it should be fine for this committee to make future decisions
according to the policy without board involvement.

> Well, that is not clear to me. Gary's request bounced to Frank, who
> put in our court, and we've been batting around with it since then
> (ok. enough cricket metaphors already).
>

> I would think that "legal" (if there were such a thing) would have to
> have a say in this, or perhaps the certification committee... are
> their licensing implications wrt the tools being used in the course,
> for example. This whole licensing thing is a minefield that looks very
> murky to me. Which is why determining what "putting a logo" symbolizes
> might be helpful -- recognize vs. certify vs. endorse, etc. etc. I
> think a logo with the appropriate disclaimer would be perfectly fine
> by me.

Right, we hope to work this out in more detail.  In the meantime if
you folks are happy with some level of support for Gary's course, and
would like to authorize his use of the logo, just forward a motion to
me to get approved at the next board meeting.

> Gary's course would get an additional button, and the button in
> question would get additional  eyballs.

I'd add, as news editor this is the sort of thing I'd love to feature
on the news page.

Best regards,