[OSGeo-Edu] Re: edu.OSGeo publicity material

discuss at edu.osgeo.org discuss at edu.osgeo.org
Sun Jun 4 17:17:41 EDT 2006

Tyler Mitchell wrote:
> On 4-Jun-06, at 10:18 AM, Puneet Kishor wrote:
>> Nice. I like it. I will replace all the "Lorem Ipsum" with real text
>> and send it back to you soon (today), so you will have a head-start
>> with the edu brochure.
>
> I basically just need about 150 words for the top right box and then
> about 10 bullets for the lower left.  Of course we won't naturally have
> any graphics, so we can use some of that space too.  I have this in a
> template, so just send me text.

Tyler (and others),

Attached is a file called "edu_osgeo_new.pdf" (hopefully this mailing
list allows an attachment or two). I have attached this hear for
everyone's perusal and input.

I was going to send you just the words, but in order to figure out how
many words would be enough (to fit in the space), I just ended up
working on the entire brochure. A few things about it --

One. My version is considerably smaller than the one I downloaded (392
Kb vs. 2.7 Mb). That could be because my PDF writer was more efficient,
or it could be that I don't have as much resolution as you have. Feel
free to just grab the text out and stick it in your version (I have also
included the text below.

Two. I have "edited" the mission text and the workgroup goals and
methods ever so slightly to make them fit better in the small space.

Three. No way "Of course we won't naturally have any graphics!" Me like
graphics. I took your little Canada map, and overlaid it on my Alma
Mater's majestic Science Hall. A little multiplicative dissolve, and we
have an academic looking map. Whether or not you keep this graphic,
please do put some graphic. Too many words make Jack a dull boy.

I made the brochure using OmniGraffle, and the graphic using Seashore.
If you want the originals, I can send them to you directly (without
cluttering up the list).

Hope this helps instead of hindering.

Many thanks,

---- text ----
edu.OSGeo

The Education and Curriculum Committee aims to create and promote
educational and curriculum material that supports the use of Geospatial
Free Open Source Software (GFOSS).

Our intent is to provide appropriately licensed material accessible to a
broad audience including academia, professionals, and general public.
Material supported through this project would directly or indirectly
build and strengthen the open source geospatial user and developer
communities.

We hope to accomplish this by integrating the use of OSGeo endorsed
tools in curricula that teach geospatial concepts and applications as
well as creating curricula to teach skills necessary for active
participation in supported OSGeo software and data projects. The
committee seeks strong cooperation with academic research projects.

Activities

Data Package Group
Goal
• Produce a data package for use in tutorials
Method
• Work with Public Geospatial Data Committee
• Provide data packaged suitable for use
• Use data package as a reference in writing tutorials

Education Resources Group
Goal
• Collect links to and describe educational resources
• Develop an Introduction to GIS course
• Support use of GFOSS
Method
• Find people to test use what we will develop
• Promote GFOSS to colleagues

Research Outreach Group
Goal
• Support researchers in their usage of GFOSS
• Support research projects that develop GFOSS
• Assist GFOSS developers
Method
• Promote GFOSS to colleagues
• Work with developers to identify research needs