[OSGeo-Edu] [Fwd: Sorry can't make it]

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Fri May 12 13:40:17 EDT 2006

Markus Neteler wrote:
> Charlie, all,
>
> please let's us NOT restrict to certain operating systems. We can add
> notes
> where needed but many software pieces are meanwhile ported with same
> look-and-feel. If not, better improve the software than writing 3-x
> books :-)
>
> Best,
> Markus
OK thanks all for the feedback. And Gary, your table would be great.
Anything I produce will hopefully have the material tried out on both a
Linux and Windows platform, and I'll try to have something in it
describing the differences if there are any.

Now, another question regarding our collaborative platform.

Over the summer I hope to get some of this material up or at least
linked to on OSgeo. I use a wiki with my research assistants here, so
have experience collaborating over this technology and like it for
certain things. However, I'm not sure about using it for course modules.

Who else on this group is developing or planning to develop some
educational material in the near future? How are you going to actually
implement it?

Are folks thinking of just putting modules up on the wiki and letting
them evolve over time? Or putting some kind of versioning systems in
place where there is a stable release and then a Alpha development where
people can add enhancements? I find myself thinking that we might want
to have certain owners (often the original author, but not always) of
curriculum modules the way there is typically some designated owner(s)
of a FOSS software module, who has "promotion to release x" authority,
and maybe even consider some kind of crude peer-review system (eventually).

And is the OSgeo wiki the platform for this content? At times, I find
myself almost wanting to develop Open Office Writer documents and then
upload them to Osgeo with a version #, some creative commons license in
its header (new derivatives OK), and a list of authorship contributions,
and  then perhaps have me designated as the  "module owner" since the
module was my creation. Others could do the same. This way, I can at
least on my end keep versions of modules that I use in my class and have
some control over backing them up, etc. If I enter them on a remote wiki
not under my control I feel a little uneasy (not that I don't trust the
osgeo wiki manager, but I just want assurance that I can backup my
material and get access to certain versions.)

What are others thinking? And what are others thinking about
implementing (with regard to curriculum material) over the next year?
(Apologies if this was discussed in the IRC this morning...)