Input please

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Oct 10 10:41:41 EDT 2006

Gary Watry wrote:
> Could I get feedback about changing to GNU License? Does that meet the
> Open source criteria?

Gary,

I haven't actually reviewed the FDL myself.  Being from the FSF I would
assume it does meet the criteria but I have also heard that it is quite
complicated so I have avoided digging through it in detail.

OK, having spouted off, I feel I owe you a bit of research.  I've done
a few searches, and found the following critiques of the GNU FDL -
primarily from the Debian folks.

   http://home.twcny.rr.com/nerode/neroden/fdl.html

The gist of these arguments include:
  o The license is complicated in lots of ways.
  o It is hard to share material between documents due to "attachment
    to invariant sections".
  o The invariant sections make documents non-free.

I'm not sure if all these arguments are current to the latest version
of the FDL or not.

In short, I'm hesitant to encourage use of the FDL though in my opinions
it does maintain the required freedoms we desire for the bulk of the
document.

Best regards,