[OSGeo-Edu] Informal request for association

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at tkk.fi
Tue Sep 19 01:51:39 EDT 2006

Poulicos Prastacos kirjoitti:
> Hi to all:
>
> Thanks for the prompt reports.
>
> FORTH is preparing a proposal to be submitted to the Greek Secretariat of
> Research and Technology (not EU) for organizing workshops in the area of
> "open GIS".   In this proposal I think several Universities, some companies
> and probably the Greek association  of GIS will participate.

EU is also currently soliciting proposals for targeted projects for
educational content and geographic information. In Finland we (several
universities) have a project, where we are trying to enhance the
accessibility to geodata. The data is not free, we've bought it, but
FOSS is a technological solution we're looking at. The deadline is also
soon (Oct 19) but perhaps achievable if there's interest.

http://europa.eu.int/information_society/activities/econtentplus/calls/proposals/index_en.htm

> As part of the project we intend to do workshops in 4-5 cities in Greece on
> "open GIS".  Each workshop (assume 5 days) will consist of 1 day of
> introduction on GIS / open GIS and on the following days we will do a hands
> on training on several open GIS software.  Something as the workshops in
> Lausanne.

Materials from the FOSS4G workshops is a good idea. We have thought
about contacting the authors to as if they would submit it to be
maintained and developed further within the OSGeo.

Ari

--
Prof. Ari Jolma
Geoinformaatio- ja paikannustekniikka