Edu committees policy on materials (was Re: [OSGeo-Edu] Informal request for association)

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at tkk.fi
Tue Sep 19 11:20:19 EDT 2006

Tyler Mitchell kirjoitti:
> On Monday 18 September 2006 10:47, Ari Jolma wrote:
>> There is not yet an approved procedure for getting OSGeo certification
>> for educational materials. However, I think we'd be willing to
>> cooperate, if the materials meet, e.g., some openness requirements.
>
> I agree.  I think we need to work through this kind of issue sooner than
> later, since this has come up at least one other time.  What should we do?
> Perhaps Edu. committee should prepare a one page concept/description of our
> potential aproach to these kinds of requests?  Then we can all discuss it?

In thinking about the other case I have a suggestion that we should
concentrate on creating our own material, i.e., start projects, or more
likely, to accept projects as OSGeo edu projects and put them into some
kind of incubation. These projects should be appropriately licenced,
hosted by OSGeo systems, and have a PSC and others who hack on it.

Clearly this needs a decision, also a policy decision, in the edu
committee and eventually in the board also.

I think I want to be more a hacker than a referee who decides whether
something should have a logo or not.

Ari

--
Prof. Ari Jolma
Geoinformaatio- ja paikannustekniikka / Geoinformation and positioning