[OSGeo-Edu] Re: Logo

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Wed Sep 20 10:30:15 EDT 2006

> I think SVN would be better. What tools are you using to produce the
> material? For a versioning system a text-based format (RTF? LaTeX?)
> would be best with images stored separately from the text. Wiki is good
> for initial ideas but I think we do need to set up a system of hosting
> collaboratively prepared FOSS4G edu materials.
Based on past conversations, I've been developing my stuff on a wiki
thinking that the OSGEO edu wiki would eventually link to my materials,
or that I would maintain my "version 1.0" of my curriculum to keep it
stable and then provide the content to OSGEO to host under some kind of
"new derivative works OK" license.

But if there is a more preferred strategy (RTF, for example) it would be
better for me to know now so I can start to make that conversion of the
draft documents we have in place already. And who would host a
Subversion application?

Finally, regarding the discussion about OSGEO logo, I found the
suggestion made by Puneet or Frank in a non-group discussion of possibly
three tiers of "OSGEO support" (I forget how it was termed) or
curriculum logos as a good idea.

1) OSGEO encouraged (material OSGEO recognizes are in development by
someone)
2) OSGEO alpha/beta test (material now in some early stage of
peer-review)
3) OSGEO official (material tested, peer-reviewed and accepted)

But I am not sure where we are in that discussion.

Cheers
Charlie

--
Associate Professor