[OSGeo-Edu] Style and Target Audience For Free GIS Book

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Fri Nov 2 13:17:51 EDT 2007

Victor/Landon - great to see this and I look forward to a metadata
chapter.

Given you have 300+ pages written, in my opinion, it might be useful to
have one chapter that you think is a good example of the style of the
book so far translated to English to act as a model for other chapter
writers (at least for headings, etc.) Do you have any translated in
English? I think it might help to have at least some short guidelines
(an example of one is here:
http://www.eoearth.org/article/An_Introduction_to_Ecological_Economics_%
28e-book%29:_How_to_Contribute#Guidelines). Here are some ideas for this
document-

1) Do you have a chosen style for the bibliography?
2) Should each chapter have its own bibliography (that might be nice
from a modularity standpoint) or are you building a full one for the end
of the book?
3) Is the license decided upon yet? It seems that every chapter should
have a statement on the license at the end of it.
4) An author attribution section?
5) Are footnotes or endnotes allowed?
6) Graphics - I assume all graphics should be Creative Commons or public
domain? No copyrighted graphics?
7) Heading and font recommendations.
8) Maybe a section on whether the chapter has been peer reviewed with
acknowledgments to the reviewers? Do we want to set up a blind review
process?

Finally, am I missing it? I don't see a clear easy found path to the
FreeGIS book effort on the OSGeo wiki.

I'm thinking we should add a statement under #2 on this page:
http://www.osgeo.org/education.  Do you agree?

Charlie