[OSGeo-Edu] Proposal: Multi-language OSGeo dictionary and OSGEO edu group status

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Tue Nov 20 10:14:36 EST 2007

Hi all... some responses and suggestions for the group:

1. Multi-language dictionary.

Wonderful idea Marcus. I've added this as "Goal E" on our
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Education_Committee_Work_Program page.

Scott - your idea of leveraging students is a good one. If anyone on
this list has a OSGeo-related course they are developing or plan to
develop -- please inventory it on this page:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Commitments_for_New_Material_Development
As Scott suggests, you might also consider adding an assignment having
students write up definitions and adding to the dictionary. Instructors
should do some peer-review though...

2. Everyone- please review our work program page at
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Education_Committee_Work_Program. I'd
like to have a subcommittee chair(s) and listed volunteers for each
item. Add your name and let me know!

3. Tutorial format standard
Regarding Goal A.1. on the above page, Ned Horning, Sasha Stepanov and I
continue to work on a suggested tutorial format standard. We hope to
have something for the group to review/comment on in a week or two. It's
my hope that once we have that established people who are creating new
content might agree to follow that standard.

4. Victor/Landon - thanks for your efforts on the FreeGIS book effort.
Victor, when you get a free moment, can you update Goal B on the
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Education_Committee_Work_Program. We
might want to develop a project work coordination page linked from
there. Let me know if I can help with anything.

5. GOAL D on the work program page: Packaged CD for Ubuntu

Recall this "challenge" posted by Gavin weeks back. I found myself
wondering today if there is anyone in more of a computer science domain
on this list and whether this challenge could be a project for some
students to develop in a class? Ari, you came to mind when I thought of
this. Is that a possibility? Any ideas on how we can meet Gavin's
challenge?

Thanks all - good to see the momentum continuing.

Charlie Schweik