[OSGeo-Edu] Getting back to "Mapping Math" - Removal From Free GIS Book

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Thu Oct 11 16:48:49 EDT 2007

OSGeo Educators,

I was talking to Tyler a couple of days ago about getting back on the
ball with my "Math for Maps" chapter of the Free GIS Book.
(edu_discuss-bounces at lists.osgeo.org)

I would like to "move" the material so far out of the Free GIS Book
umbrella. The main reason I would like to do this is so that I can
expand the chapter into a short book. I want to add some material
covering basic math concepts. I also want to include programming
exercises and lab/field exercises that would be suitable for a classroom
setting. I think this is too big to really fit in a single chapter of
the Free GIS Book.

It will also allow me to avoid conflicts with the Spanish efforts on the
Free GIS Book.

I would still like to keep my material under the OSGeo umbrella, and on
the OSGeo wiki if possible. Are there any objections to this? I don't
think it will be a problem because Tyler said the Education Committee
was going to focus on existing material, not new material, but he
suggested that I ask here first.

I am more than willing to do whatever the group thinks is best.

Landon Blake (The Sunburned Surveyor)

Warning: