[OSGeo-Edu] Free GIS Book - next step ideas

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Wed Oct 17 13:20:38 EDT 2007

Hi all,
Only have a second...

- Great list of RS links Venka; thanks Ned...

- Helena: Great idea on organizing the inventory page by "current" and
archival tutorials". I'll try and do this but it might make sense for
you to do it (if you have the time) and move your GRASS stuff
accordingly.

- Victor, you said:
> As I said when Venka told us about his student who could translate from
> spanish to english, none ot the materials already written have been checked
> and reviewed, so somehow it is a waste of time to translate them.
So it sounds like a new metadata field on your TOC wiki page:
"status" - "being written", "waiting for translation to
english/spanish", being translated, etc.

As you suggest on this page we could also have a list of possible
translators. I think the book needs to be (obviously) an edited volume
in two languages, and translators need to get some credit. This would be
a good incentive for PhD students perhaps to get their name associated
with an edited volume that they could enter on their CV. I think we
should look at LuLu as a possible publishing option when that time
comes.

All the below is great stuff for the call for papers for the book or the
journal. It already raised in my mind a set of people I know who might
be willing to contribute chapters on GIS use in various fields who are
not on this email list. Let's get the calls written and we can send them
out via various listservs. Great stuff Victor.

Cheers

Charlie