[OSGeo-Edu] gis book license

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Thu Oct 25 13:15:02 EDT 2007

On 25-Oct-07, at 4:36 AM, Venkatesh Raghavan wrote:

> Nice to hear about discussion on this important issue.
> And only speaking IMHO, also would like to allow
> derivatives work and commercial use too.

For the journal we decided to use non-derivatives so that we were
always kept informed of 3rd party usage of the material.  That is,
the author always had to be asked permission before derivatives could
be made.  Of course, this will slow down adoption, but it will also
help keep the original author involved with others who want to re-use
his/her material.  But notice, it does not prevent someone from
making derivatives - they only have to ask first :)

I'm not saying that ND is good for the book license, but the idea of
keeping authors engaged with re-users is quite intriguing.

Tyler