[OSGeo-Edu] Our proposed educational content andmanagement standard!

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Mon Jan 21 13:00:25 EST 2008

Ned,

You've pointed out one huge limitation of Scribus: It's really designed
for a single output format, which is PDF. This definitely limits its
usefulness for a lot of documentation tasks.

Ned wrote: The best open source WYSIWYG DocBook tools that I'm aware of
are limited to Linux but I didn't look too hard after I stared using
XMLMind.

I'll take a look at XMLMind.

Ned wrote: Some limitations I ran
into with Scribus were that it didn't support HTML output, table support

was minimal and it was difficult to readjust the document every time I
wanted to update it. I also expect translation would be difficult.

This is something I ran into when working on documentation for OpenJUMP,
which is used in several languages. It is an excellent point and I'm
glad you brought it up. One solution I found to the layout & translation
problem was to keep graphics and text in separate pages of the document
being produced. I'm not sure how that would translate to Docbook, but it
is something to think about.

Ned wrote: A number of people are using DocBook for
publishing books. One of the best know is O'Reilly.

I'd like to learn more about this use of Docbook. I'll have to Google it
this week.

Landon