[OSGeo-Edu] Comments and Questions on Docbook

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Tue Jan 22 14:09:35 EST 2008

I took some time to look over Docbook last night. This included skimming
a Docbook crash course and messing around with XMLMind.

XMLMind definitely seems to be the most fully featured Docbook editor,
and would be a good choice for authors not familiar with XML.

I personally found it a bit awkward, and figured I would be more
comfortable working in a text editor. I'd probably still write the
content in OpenOffice and would then cut and paste to a XML template
file. My comfort with the raw text editor may be a result of my
programming background.

I think Docbook would be a workable solution, but I think some templates
would be key. (For example, we could set up a template for Free GIS Book
chapters or for OSGeo Journal Articles.)

I'd like to check out the PDF format generated from Docbook. Can anyone
get me started with that conversion as quickly as possible? What
conversion tool would you recommend?

Landon

Warning: