[OSGeo-Edu] Subversion strategy questions

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Tue Jan 22 21:24:06 EST 2008

Hi all,

This is related only to figuring out our strategy for a Document
Management and Distribution system.

Some history:

1. I've argued that using the wiki for document distribution will not
scale. I think we want some system that is more searchable (e.g.,
database driven). We looked at other platforms last fall (Rice
Connexions) rose to the top in our minds because it was searchable and
handled modules, not courses, which we thought was advantageous. We
could "tag" content as OSGeo relevant. But there was concern that it was
out of our hands -- not a server under our control. I left the Victoria
conference feeling like using Rice's platform was not really an option.

2. Subversion was suggested as something that was readily available for
our use. It is on the OSGeo server. So, we're ready to try it out...

3. Today, wise Ned Horning raised a question about whether Subversion
will do for a document distribution system and its usability for
searching for documents. He suggested perhaps Subversion as a document
version control and something else (wiki or CMS) for document
distribution.

OUR QUESTIONS:

1) Before we test out Subversion -- Does anyone have any insight into
whether we can use Subversion as a document distribution and search
system for educational content?

2) Any other ideas for a platform for distributing educational content?
I don't think the wiki will do it. Am I wrong? Any other alternatives?

(Ned/Sasha/Maili - chime in if I've missed something).

Thanks!