[OSGeo-Edu] Subversion strategy questions

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jan 22 22:48:35 EST 2008

Charlie Schweik wrote:
> OUR QUESTIONS:
>
> 1) Before we test out Subversion -- Does anyone have any insight into
> whether we can use Subversion as a document distribution and search
> system for educational content?

Charlie,

Subversion is a source control system and does not include any search
capabilities.  Using a file system to web search engine like htDig
(http://www.htdig.org) on a "checked out" copy of all the docs on the
server might provide suitable search facilities.

Subversion is an excellent source and document version control system.
It doesn't really do that much more for you though (IMHO).

> 2) Any other ideas for a platform for distributing educational content?
> I don't think the wiki will do it. Am I wrong? Any other alternatives?

I'm not clear on why you are unhappy with a wiki.  MediaWiki seems to
support reasonable search facilities.  You also mention that a
"wiki for document distribution will not scale".  I'm not sure what
you mean by that.  It can't support heavy request load?  I don't
see that as a big issue.

I am a bit dubious about wikis for big documents or documents that
include sophisticated graphics.  It can be done, but it might seem clumsy.

On the whole DocBook issue - we tried using DocBook for a while for MapServer
docs and ended up abandoning it because installing and getting to understand
DocBook tools was too hard for many potential contributors.  It also turned
out to be a clumsy format to work in.  Perhaps things have improved, or
we mapserverites were particularly dumb - but take that at least as a mild
cautionary tale.  We ended up with documents written in html, and restructured
text in plone though we aren't so thrilled with that either.  There is
some consideration being given to just moving to a Trac wiki (though Trac
wiki is particular weak as a wiki in my opinion).

Good luck with your plans.

Best regards,