[OSGeo-Edu] Why not use the wiki? My reasons... let me know if I am off in my thinking

cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Sat Jan 26 23:30:32 EST 2008

Hi all-

I had a few moments while on a travel break to check email.
I'm not sure where Ned, Sasha and Maili are based on all of the helpful insight
that you've all provided. We really appreciate the energy and interest.

Quoting Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org>:

> That is pretty easy: just use Mediawiki categories (I am the one to always
> add them to the Edu pages... :).
>
> Example:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Category:Education
>
> If you now add a second category like "Edu-Beginner" or whatever
> makes sense, you are there. Simple but functional.

So regarding document management and delivery, for any particular educational
module could we:

1) Use Subversion to store the latest release and new derivatives in process;
2) Use Mediawiki to somehow create pages with lots of relevant associated
categories (e.g., GRASS, Edu-Beginner, etc) and then develop some main search
page that describes these tags and then have it find metaentries with links to
the subversion files?

If I don't have this right, can someone suggest how this could be done?
Don't know when I'll be online again...