[OSGeo-Edu] Metadata Chapter Update

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Wed Jan 30 15:49:34 EST 2008

I'm a little confused about how far along I was at the time of my last
update, so if some of this was repeated, please forgive me.

I've added the following sections and sub-sections to my metadata
chapter of the FreeGIS Book:

Why Is Metadata Important?

   - Ensuring the Proper Use of Geospatial Data

   - Where is 5000, 5000, 100? (Using Metadata To Explain The

     Spatial Component of Geospatial Data)

-     Coordinating Data Collection and Avoiding Data Duplication

Keeping Metadata Up-To-Date

Individual Feature Metadata

You can view the new content here:

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df5nfmf8_37gc47xc

The only remaining section is on automated metadata creation, which I
decided to add after Tyler's example script.

I will then prepare two short example metadata documents to accompany
the chapter. One will be of metadata for an entire dataset; the other
will be metadata for an individual feature contained in a larger
dataset.

When I have completed the text content of the chapter, perhaps by the
end of next week, I will make myself available to do the following:

-     Assist with the Spanish translation of the chapter.

-     Convert the article to LaTex or Docbook.

In addition, and with the permission of the group, I would like to
experiment with a PDF chapter layout created in Scribus.

After this work is finished I will take a breif break from the Free GIS
Book, as I would like to get started on my math book. :]

Landon

Warning: