[OSGeo-Edu] Guidelines/Template for OSGeo HTML Documentation

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Mon Jul 7 18:41:32 EDT 2008

This topic deals with the preparation of educational material, but I
thought that it might be related to the work of the Marketing Committee,
and eventually the OSGeo Journal, so I added this message to all three
(3) lists.

I'd like to start work soon on a simple converter that moves OSGeo
educational material from Docbook to HTML. I'd specifically like to
start testing a documentation tool chain with this converter for the
English Free GIS Book and the Starter Dictionary.

I imagined using two (2) CSS files for the output HTML documentation.
One could be used for online viewing, and one for hardcopy printing.

I'm fairly handy with CSS and HTML, but I was hoping to get some
direction for the creation of the style sheets. Do we have an OSGeo
color scheme somewhere? Does the OSGeo have a preferred font family for
online documentation?

(I know that I can get a logo from here: http://www.osgeo.org/logos)

Should I make the stylesheets follow the color palettes contained in
this document?:
http://download.osgeo.org/osgeo/logos/OSGeo_logo_guide.pdf

Even if I use those color palettes, I'll likely need to add some colors
for things like visited and unvisited hyperlinks.

I thought it would be good to set my style sheets up so they could be
used in other OSGeo online documentation, and especially for other
projects coming from the education committee. It would also be great to
see the same style sheets used for online versions of OSGeo Journal
articles, if we ever get around to building a web presence for the
Journal.

I'm not too fussy about things like colors and fonts. I just want to set
the style sheets up to use what everyone else is using.

I appreciate any comments or suggestions on this topic.

Landon

Warning: