[OSGeo-Edu] New list of OSGeo education (potential) group initiatives for 2008-09

Daniel Ames amesdani at isu.edu
Mon Oct 13 13:21:04 EDT 2008

Dear OSGeo Ed,
Some of you know this already, but it's probably worth mentioning here that
last month we lost someone who was very engaged in and committed to open
source GIS education.

According to his wife, Sue, Gary Watry at Florida State University died of a
heart attack in his office at age 55 on September 18. Gary was an active
promoter of QGIS and MapWindow at FSU and had developed training material,
lab exercises, and such for both tools. He compiled his MW material into
book form and distributed it online. It's now included as a PDF file in our
distribution CD and ISO image.

Gary was a great guy and I personally consider his passing a significant
loss to OSGeo Education. If any of you knew Gary and want to leave a note
for his family, there is a memorial online on Legacy.com.

Thanks,

Dan

--
Daniel P. Ames PhD, PE