[OSGeo-Edu] geodictionary and wiktionary

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sun Oct 26 09:13:34 EDT 2008

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 1:24 PM, Charlie Schweik
<cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu> wrote:
> The tradeoff is that if we implement our own mediawiki we are, in a way
> competing or forking with the wiktionary and it reduces the number of people
> contributing to the global peer production larger effort.

Right, but...

I find it confusing that they (Wiktionary) apparently try to explain
other languages in your language:

(randomly chosen)
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/amemos
... Categories: Galician verb forms | Portuguese verb forms...

All Galician verb forms in the English Wiktionary? Say, if in
future "all" language permutations are getting merged all
wiktionaries?... wow! Might be confusing and overwhelming.

> It looks like we
> also potentially lose the translation function (if it works well).

So please compare:

I have polished the sample entry:
 http://geodictionary.osgeo.org/wiki/Landscape_genetics
 (there are 3 translations, see there).

Compare the entries which I made in Wiktionary:
 http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/landscape_genetics
 http://de.wiktionary.org/wiki/Landschaftsgenetik

I don't understand yet how we could categorize "our" entries
in Wiktionary.

Markus