[OSGeo-Edu] OSGEO edu folks -- An important favor!! Please consider doing this ASAP - it would help our group!

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Thu May 14 17:36:25 EDT 2009

Dear OSGeo edu members,

I've spent some time over the last week writing up a summary of our
efforts for a Mellon Foundation grant. What I am trying to do is secure
funds for the next year or two *to fund someone to help move us to a
system that supports the creation of new derivatives of OSGeo
educational content, or to help our group move forward generally. If I
get the funds I will solicit ideas on how we use this "employee" to move
our group forward*. In order to do this, I had to "self-nominate" my
institution. To meet their requirements, I had to emphasize that what we
are doing is helping two of their key constituents: (1) nature
conservation and (2) higher education. The program closes TOMORROW, May
15th.

*I would appreciate greatly you going the the below website where I have
posted a self-nomination, and add any comments in support of this that
you can*, especially if you represent some part of the world that has
not commented. An emphasis on my leadership to this group would help
probably too.

One limitation was that we don't have good metrics of the use of our
educational material. It would be great if some of you from different
parts of the world could emphasize the utility and impact of our
educational inventory and our efforts to co-develop educational material.

PLEASE VISIT

*http://matc.mellon.org/nominate/university-of-massachusetts-amherst/the-osgeo-global-education-and-curriculum-project/nomination_view*

AND ADD A COMMENT IN SUPPORT OF THIS PROJECT!

You need to do this by the end of May 15th, 2008 (today or tomorrow
depending on where you are!).

Thank you in advance!

Charlie Schweik
Chair, OSGeo edu committee

P.S. I hope this doesn't appear to be self-serving. I am not at all
trying to take credit for what we all have done as a team. But you have
to nominate an institution and a university seemed to best match what
they were looking for, and the grants are for leadership. I've been
coordinating with Tyler Mitchell on this. It's a long shot, but your
support would help to try and bring in funds for OUR FUTURE efforts.