[OSGeo-Edu] First OSGeo edu virtual meeting - IRC Chat and proposed date/time

Simon Cropper scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Sun Jul 25 20:19:01 EDT 2010

Charlie,

Your times appear wrong for most places.

According to the URL that Markus Neteler posted the chat would be at 12 pm on
Friday in Melbourne, it appears as if you are saying it would be at 7 am on
Saturday!

Can you please clarify if the table posted by Markus is actually correct or
not?

Another issue is that you have not specified what IRC network you will be using
for your discussion (e.g. freenode) and the name of the channel. Can you
please provide this information ASAP.

**** ADDITIONAL ITEM YOU MAY WISH TO INCLUDE IN YOUR AGENDA ****

One concern I have regarding the release of educational material on the
Internet, especially material ascribed to me, relates to how the material is
disseminated, used or misused by others, or how derivatives could be used or
misused by others.

I find the menagerie of licenses available overwhelming and the nuances of each
poorly understood. For example, I have considered the use of Creative Commons
(no derivatives, no commercial) licence to release my tutorial material but
have recently noted concerns over this license in our peak 'copyright'
organisation in Australia (Australian Copyright Council).

I think that copyright, moral rights, derivatives, commercial uses of material
generated, etcetera (and their variation over multiple jurisdictions),  impede
the release of valuable material - especially from people working in
commercial environments or academia. Consequently a brief discussion about
this would be useful with the broader group and may confirm/refute my
impression or present a solution/way forward.

--
Cheers Simon

	Simon Cropper
	Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd