[OSGeo-Edu] First OSGeo edu virtual meeting - IRC Chat and proposed date/time

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 20:56:20 EDT 2010

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 7:19 PM, Simon Cropper
<scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au> wrote:
> For example, I have considered the use of Creative Commons (no derivatives,
> no commercial) licence to release my tutorial material but have recently
> noted concerns over this license in our peak 'copyright' organisation in
> Australia (Australian Copyright Council).
>
> I think that copyright, moral rights, derivatives, commercial uses of
> material generated, etcetera (and their variation over multiple
> jurisdictions), impede the release of valuable material - especially from
> people working in commercial environments or academia.

Yes. For the above reason, you should consider putting your
contributions under a CC0 (CC-Zero) Waiver, a protocol suited for
material that might have copyrightable elements but that you might
want to put in public domain.

If, for some reason, you are unable to attach a CC-Zero waiver to your
contribution, then you should consider CC-BY 3.0, which has a very
weak attribution requirement.

Using either CC0 (preferable) or CC-BY 3.0 will ensure the least
amount of restriction possible on your contribution, and would ensure
that no one is deterred in any way from using it.

--
Puneet Kishor http://www.punkish.org
Carbon Model http://carbonmodel.org