[OSGeo-Edu] Can we leverage the Free Technology Academy to create GeoSpatial Open Source training material?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 15:24:22 EDT 2010

  Hello people at the Free Technology Academy, (CC OSGeo Education
Committee)

I'm writing on behalf of the education committee of the Open Source
GeoSpatial Foundation, (OSGeo). [1]

Among other things, OSGeo has been building a Live DVD for GeoSpatial
Open Source which contains consistent marketing material for all our key
software, and also some inconsistent training material. [2]

I'd like to move to the next step by providing templates and guidelines
for creating training material that the developers can follow in order
to create integrated training courses. Raw material created by
developers will then be refined by the 40 or so education professionals
we have lurking on our email lists.

What we are missing is:
* A template that can be used for creating documentation, which is as
easy to use for a non-techie as Open Office, or media wiki, and which is
linked into a publishing pipleline which can produce HTML and PDF.

* Writing guidelines which include heading structures, writing tips for
generic sections, writing style tips, definition of target audience,
licence guidelines etc. (We have provided such steps for our Project
Overview and Quick Start documentation - and have successfully had 40
projects create material for us from these guidelines [3])

Do you have such core templates and guidelines for material creation
that we can make use of?

[1] http://osgeo.org
[2] http://live.osgeo.org
[3] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Add_Project#Application_Overview