[OSGeo-Edu] FOS GIS for Teaching - ArcGIS vs. Free desktop GIS : GIScience 2010 extended abstract

Stefan Steiniger sstein at geo.uzh.ch
Wed Sep 8 22:43:53 EDT 2010

Hei all,

maybe the extended abstract (1500 words) that I attach is of interest to
some of you: "Teaching GIScience with Free and Open Source
Software? -- A first Assessment" [1]. It got accepted for GIScience 2010
in Zurich, next week, but unfortunately only as poster - despite good
reviews.

If someone knows of similar papers, please let me/us know. There was for
instance one at the last AGILE conference (2010) but I could only found
a not downloadable abstract of it [2] and also not a full paper.

Sorry for not having contributed much to the list activities lately.

cheers from Calgary,
stefan

[1]
http://www.geo.uzh.ch/%7Esstein/manuscripts/ssteinig_foss4giscteaching_final.pdf

[2] Orshoven et al (2010): Attitude Of Undergraduate And Graduate
Students Towards Free And Open Source Software For Geomatics In A
Supervised Self-Study Context:
http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:cqbc1vRrceMJ:plone.itc.nl/agile_old/Conference/2010-guimaraes/PosterAbstracts_PDF%255C90_DOC.pdf+Steiniger+and+Bocher,+agile+2009&hl=de&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjjBsiUEnpGQO_YCQ_YS3FVgoahjJRUPUd5FXxJii-L5slF2AgZjCNHL80p4dYPCGfO7jK8qfTkgm6BytoZ-7Ck3B_J-Ad7jxEtKywCtNWzlRf019zMpvVYiIC5h4JZiKCM19D3&sig=AHIEtbSSj0sqmdTkjZYO7VSbkpBpQlRYog