[OSGeo-Edu] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Open Source Geospatial Foundationand Centre for Geospatial Science Sign MoU

Daniel Ames dan.ames at isu.edu
Tue Sep 28 22:11:26 EDT 2010

CUAHSI is considering a small annual fee option too...
On Sep 28, 2010 8:07 PM, "Helena Mitasova" <hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu> wrote:
> CUAHSI - http://www.cuahsi.org/ is another example - it has a one time
$2000 fee to join (quite reasonable I think).
> It is a very active, very visible organization.
>
> Related to that, I have created a list of universities that offer semester
long courses
> with strong GFOSS focus - several have very good online material:
> http://skagit.meas.ncsu.edu/~helena/grasswork/osgeoedu_courses.html
>
> If you don't see your program listed please email me the name of the
course, instructor and a link
> (for example, I did not get anything from UK so far).
> I would like to ask Tyler to post it on the OSGeo web site (I will email
you the plain html for it),
> we can update it each year at the conference.
> The list may provide some potential founding members for the consortium,
if we decide
> it is worth to form it (I am not sure).
>
> Helena
>
> On Sep 28, 2010, at 9:03 PM, Mueller, Thomas wrote:
>
>> Yes, UCGIS. However the cost is usually prohibitive for smaller
universities.

>> http://www.ucgis.org/
>>
>> Tom
>>
>> Thomas R. Mueller, Ph.D., GISP
>> Advisor: Geography Major with GIS and Emergency Management Concentration
>> Co - Director: Pennsylvania View
>> Department of Earth Sciences, California University of Pennsylvania
>> "A man never gets to this station in life without being helped, aided,
shoved, pushed and prodded to do better." - Johnny Unitas

edu_discuss-bounces at lists.osgeo.org] on behalf of Tyler Mitchell [
tmitchell.osgeo at shaw.ca]
>> Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 8:15 PM
>> To: Daniel Ames
>> Cc: edu_discuss at lists.osgeo.org
>> Subject: Re: RE: [OSGeo-Edu] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Open Source Geospatial
Foundationand Centre for Geospatial Science Sign MoU

>> Dan wrote:
>> > Tyler... You could charge universities a small annual membership
>> > fee for
>> > such a consortium which would then have some benefit back to the
>> > universityand could generate a small pot of money to help with
>> > operating the academic
>> > aspects of the journal... - Dan
>>
>> That would be a good win-win. I'd be interested in hearing of similar
academic focused working groups that run in a similar manner. Any come to
mind?