[OSGeo-Edu] Virtual meeting doodle poll coming and a possible election for a new group chair?

Charles Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Thu Nov 17 09:58:18 EST 2011

Hi all,

My apologies for not yet scheduling our virtual call. It's been on my
to-do list. I think this shows that it is probably time for me to step
down as chair. I am being asked to do too much other service at my
university and just can't find the time. This group is important and
needs more consistent leadership than I've been able to provide this
year. I enjoy trying to help us as a group move forward so it is hard
for me to say this, but clearly I'm not finding the time to do what
this job needs.

Later today or tomorrow I'm going to post a doodle poll with some
potential dates/times for next week for a virtual call.

I don't believe there is a formal rule for how to name a new chair of
the group. Should we do nominations and then I'll tally votes?

Finally, might we consider a couple designated more formal positions
(e.g., co-chairs?)? In my university we get some "points" in our
annual reviews for external service to the discipline. It probably is
true for many others on this list too. I wonder if by establishing a
couple more formal positions for the education group that faculty on
this list could put down as disciplinary leadership on their CVs that
might help some of us put more regular time in our activities.
Reactions?

Cheers,